5 Easy Tips for Getting Your Kids Back Into a Healthy Routine
After a long, fun summer, it’s time to get back to school. But it doesn’t have to be a chore! Getting your kids back into a healthy routine before school starts can set them up for success when the long school days kick in. Here are a few tips to kick start your child’s healthy habits:
- Review your routine and get back on schedule. It’s important to set a bedtime and wake-up routine that allows for plenty of rest before the school year starts. Ease back into the routine by setting bedtime 15 minutes earlier each night. Sleep is one of the most important things you can offer for your child’s health
- Plan ahead for nutritious meals. School nights are busy and combining them with extracurricular activities can feel chaotic. Spend a few minutes each week planning meals before going to the grocery store. Having a plan for dinner can eliminate some of the stress of a busy school night.
- Check in regularly and get involved. Volunteering at school and talking with your child each day about their lessons or activities show that school is important and that you care.
- Avoid taking on too much: With so many extracurricular activities available, it’s easy to overschedule. This can lead to very tired kids. Ask your children to choose the activities that are most fun to them, and limit the activities to one or two so the family has time to unwind at home.
- Schedule an appointment with your pediatrician now. Make sure all immunizations are up to date and complete any necessary physical exams for extracurricular activities. Click here to find a pediatrician near you